Monday, February 09, 2009

Swamp Classic - Gainesville Crit

After the races last weekend I was stoked to get out and race again. All of the women categories were together. I have done this race several times. There is a downhill right before the finishing up hill and a small brick section after the first and second turn. There were a couple little bumps around the course but for the most part it's a nice course.

This race brought out all the big names, Tina Elliot, Rebecca Larson, Jackie Kurth and Jackie Crowell. It promised to be a good race.

The first lap was boring. We came around to the finish and an attack went. It was quickly chased down. Attacks were going and getting caught. It was fast. The hill wasn't really bad but about 10 laps into it I started cramping. It was a "side stitch". I was suffering. After 2 laps though, it was gone. YES!!!! I was back in my game.

There was a small group of 2 off the front. Tina Elliot and another lady. They had about a 7-9 second gap on the field. No one was working together. I glued myself to Rebecca Larsons wheel. She went..I went. Several times I found myself off the front with 5-6 other ladies but no one was willing to work.

We finally caught the break. We slowed down to 12 mi. Team Type 1 had two riders in the field. They were attacking and countering. Nothing else was sticking.

3 laps to go: I was on Rebecca's wheel. It was getting faster. Coming around to start 2 laps to go a rider attacked. Once we caught her it slowed down again. 1 to go! Rebecca attacked. I followed and ended up 3rd wheel. The group swelled. I blew up with about 1/2 lap to go. I ended up a couple second off the back and finished 11th.

It was a good race for me. It was fast and hard but I am in pretty good shape so far. I still need to work on my finishes but I still have alot of racing ahead of me.

Next weekend is Dade City. The road race is hilly and the crit course is very technical.

Ciao

No comments: