Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lake County Stage Race



Baking in the Heat



Saturday's Womens Crit



Craig Creeden (Team ASV), Jos Chalmers (Team Colivita) and I after the juniors race



The start of the womens circuit race



Have a drink!!!



Melted Ice Water...BBRRR!!!!



Womens Finish (Sunday)





Juniors crit



Womens Crit



Sprint Finish (Saturday)

It’s the last race of the spring season...Father’s Day weekend...AND a 110 degree heat index...WOW

This past weekend was the Lake County Stage Race. Saturday was a crit. The course was in an unfinished neighborhood. The roads were nice and there was a small finishing hill.

I started off with the juniors race. The race was FAST and the attacks were flying. About 10 minutes into the race the winning break got up the road. There were a few chase attempts but no one was able to get really organized.

As we came around to the last lap I moved up to about 4th wheel. The field had cranked up the speed and I was prepping for the sprint. As we came around to the final corner most of the field was getting ready to take the inside line but a rider had sat up on the inside. I lost momentum and never quite gained it again. I ended up finishing towards the end of the field but had felt good the entire race.

The womens race was HOT. I felt pretty good and was able to react to all the attacks. The field stayed together for the entire race. No one was super aggressive because of the heat.

As we came to the final lap I tried to move up a little bit. I was caught up in the final corner when the rider in front of me nearly overshot the turn. I managed to keep enough of my momentum and sprinted for 6th in the 1, 2, 3’s.

Sunday’s race was a lot of fun. The course was a flat and curvy 2 miles. It was ridiculously hot out (we got into our car at 6 AM and the thermo. read 92!!!! yikes)

In the juniors race my goal was to try and have a good finish but to just have fun. The race was really fast. Most riders were competing in the stage race and that led to more attacks than usual. My legs were hurting a little but I felt pretty good. I tried to stay up front but for the most part ended up just enjoying the ride.

As we came around to the finish I was a little farther back then I would have liked. I ended up towards the back of the field in the sprint but was totally stoked for the womens race.

The all category womens race was the last race of the day. I didn’t need much of a warm up and hung out under the tent keeping cool.

The first lap was pretty calm. The field was staying together and trying to feel everything out. As we came around the finish line I saw the line of juniors with bottles of ice cold water...I couldn’t get a feed but I did get a shower just about every lap. It felt great (a special thanks to everyone =)

There were a couple attacks but nothing was really sticking. As we were coming around to start 3 laps to go I was second wheel. When I looked back the field had started to slow down and had given us a small 20 meter gap.

"LETS GO" I sprinted past the rider in front of me and told her we had a gap. I ended up on my own hammering up the final hill. I was off the front for a little while but was eventually caught.

The next 2 laps were uneventful. I knew it was coming to a field sprint and began to pick my wheel.

As we approached the final corner the field was still spread across the road. I was behind the 4 women who rotate winning the races. As we rounded the final corner they shot up the outside and I followed. My legs were pretty tired but I was able to keep my 5th place.


It was a great chance to learn a little more before nationals. We are going up to GA one more time and have one more race in Gwinett, GA before nationals.

thanks for reading,

ciao

No comments: