Sunday, June 07, 2009

TRC Race Weekend

This weekend I was determined to turn my racing around. I had a new strategy and was pumped up and ready to race.

Day 1 was a flat, curvy and fast. The course was in a not yet developed subdivision. It was very open and the wind was really blowing during my race.

At the start line I was really stoked. My legs felt great and the field was much bigger than normal. From go I settled into the front of the field. I tried to mark strong wheels. I found myself on Jackie Kurths (Team Kenda) wheel. As we came around to finish our first lap she attacked. I followed but once we were caught we were countered by Tina Elliot (Florida Velo).

During this lap 2 other girls bridged up to Tina and they were slowly getting a bigger gap on the field. Our main field had shredded to about 8 riders. I sat on the back and prepped for the sprint.

As we came around to 3 laps to go the sky had grown ominously black. The rain held off but the lighting and thunder had started to roll in. As we came around to what should have been bell lap we were told that it was our finish. I followed Jackie Kurths wheel and got second in the sprint and 6th overall.

On Sunday the course was almost a mile long. It had 4 corners and wasn't very technical.

I started off with the juniors race. About 10 minutes into the race, the field split. I found myself in the middle of two, seven men groups with another rider. We rotated for a little while and tried to bridge to the lead group but ended up just floating back to the second group.

For the most part we did a tempo pace line. There were couple attacks but they were quickly pulled back. With 5 laps to go we were caught by the 2 leaders. I jumped onto their wheel and stayed there.

On the last lap an attack went. I followed the first chaser and was getting ready for the sprint. As we rounded the final corner the guy in front of me (Matao Zaluaga-Team Paisa- had given me a good lead out to the final corner =) peeled off and left me with open road. With the 1 rider still in front I sprinted. I could see a shadow behind me but managed to hold him off to the line. I got 5th overall and was very pleased with my result.

In the womens race later I was a little tired. About 10 minutes into the race Jackie Kurth and Julie Bishop (Florida Velo) formed a break together and were gone for the rest of the race.

I tried to stay attentive but my legs were feeling the previous races. There were plenty of attacks throughout the race and the pace was kept high. With 5 laps to go the rider in front of me (Cristi An Hansley - Team Tri Star Cycling) attacked and I followed. At the line we had a huge gap but she gave me a look and sat up.

I made the choice to keep going. I held the field off for 3 laps and was caught. Right before the field caught me, there was a crash in the final corner. When the group came up to me I hopped into about 5th wheel where I stayed until the last lap when I moved up to 3rd wheel. Coming around the final corner I ran out of elbow room and lost a lot of positioning.

I ended up finishing towards the back of the field. I took alot from the races and gained some confidence form my junior race.

Next weekend is the Ocala Stage Race. With nationals only 2 months away I am getting very excited.

ciao

No comments: